How talking about plyometrics is like talking to teenagers about sexSep 15, 2011
This will be my tenth post on the blog that mentions plyometrics. Every time I post about plyos, I wonder if it's the right thing to do. I feel a bit uncomfortable. Are people going to follow my advice or just be encouraged to do plyometrics with reckless abandon? This argument in my head sounds eerily familiar.
Five arguments that apply equally well to a plyometric program and the teenage sex talk
1. Doing it can be a beautiful thing that can take you to new and glorious heights. But if you do it before you're ready, you can get hurt very, very badly.
2. Talking about it will just give the kids ideas. More people will end up getting hurt. Maybe we shouldn't mention it at all.
3. Players are going to do it anyway! We have to do our best to make sure they're dong it safely. Otherwise, they're just going to get their information from TV, the internet, and the older kids in the neighborhood.
4. There is no ONE right way to do it for everyone! If someone cares about you, they’ll take the time to get to know you before telling you how to do it.
5. Those with the least experience are often the most likely to give indiscriminate advice to based on something they heard or read somewhere. Those with experience are usually reticent to talk about the details with casual acquaintances.
And though no one told me this as a teenager, it is also true that:
6. Many products are available to enhance what comes naturally. Some are good, some are bad, some are dangerous. Don't buy into the hype. You don't need to spend a dime to have a good time!
No matter what anyone tells you, you're responsible for your own body. Don't be afraid. Do educate yourself. Always be prepared.
Still have questions about plyometrics? I don't know, go ask your father! (or ask in the comments below and I'll do my best)
Ready to take the next step? Sign-up for my 6 week Sprint-Agility-Quickness program!
Get tips from me, in your inbox!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.